Saturday 22 June 2013

My favorite low calorie snacks and snack ideas.

Hey All!

I am going to share what my favorite low calorie snacks are. I really hope this blog gives you ideas for those times where you feel kind of peckish after school at 3 or 4 pm and you really that afternoon tea or at work and you really want to avoid that pathetic vending machine during break or lunch that carries all that high calorie chocolate bars and other glorious fatty snacks that are so hard to resist.

Here are some snacks you can buy from the supermarket that are good options. I got these snacks from a grocery store called  Woolworths viewers from Australia will know what I cam talking about. However for my viewers in other countries I don't if these snacks are available in your country but if you do see them I recommend that you pick them up. As for my Aussie viewers this will be very useful because these snacks you'll be able to find them in Woolworths or Coles. also sometimes Aldi will have specials but they don't really sell these snacks all together.

For all you chocoholics!

I must say despite losing all this weight I am still a recovering chocoholic. there are times where I feel like having chocolate. But these chocolates I am about to mention have been my life savor. If you yourself are a chocoholic I recommend that you try these out. Especially if its that time of the month for all you women out there!

There is a company called "...Well Naturally" this is their website:
 http://www.vitalitybrands.com/well-naturally

I really love their sugar free milk chocolate but they only have two versions one which is just plain milk chocolate and the other is fruit and nut. I always grab the fruit and nut bar. oh yes and they don't add sugar to them but they still have natural sugars in them, but they don't have a lot of sugar in them and they use stevia to sweeten them. They are 65 calories for two pieces of the bar and they have a very rich creamy texture. It literally melts in your mouth and to me its really no different from eating regular chocolate. Its not very low in calories and fat so you still have to be careful how much you have but its still a good alternative to regular chocolate as its not so high in sugar. Sometimes I will buy the plain milk chocolate one and use it for making guilt free snacks like I once used it for making chocolate covered strawberries.


The next treat from the same company is a lot more guilt free than the the first one and they are these little protein bars. They come in quite a lot of flavors. I've only tried three flavors. They are called "High Protein mini bars" Out of all the ones I tried I really love the banana fudge and the peppermint surprise. The Banana fudge flavor reminds me so much of this Austrian chocolate I had ages ago when I was a kid called "Schoko Bananen" and they are these banana flavored candies/lollies that are covered in chocolate and this protein bar has the exact same taste! And as for the peppermint flavored one that flavor reminds so much of  "after eights" or any other chocolate that has mint flavor or mint flavored icing, the taste is exactly the same. If you really love mint chocolate I highly recommend the Peppermint surprise and if you love banana flavored candy I definitely recommend the Banana fudge. I also tried the double chocolate flavor but to me I prefer the other ones that I tried as I find the double chocolate one a fair bit boring in its taste its not that I hate it, its ok but I just prefer the mint and the banana flavor because they remind me so much of those other chocolates from my childhood. Each of these bars are under 100 calories too! And they are naturally sweetened!



The next treat is by a company called "Slim Secrets" they make these cookies called "designer cookies" I really love their chocolate chip cookie. This cookie is also very nutritious as it has chia seeds in them which are high in omega 3 so if you're like me and you really loath fish you should try this cookie. Its less than 130 calories and it only has less than 5 grams of sugar. I really think this cookie is delicious, I really love the chocolate chips in them. They also have a very soft fibrous texture but they don't have the same texture as regular hard cookies but I think they are delicious.


For all the sweet tooths!
The next treat is one that reminds me so much of another thing I had from my childhood and they are called "Uncle Toby's Fruit roll ups" Yup they are fruit roll ups but these roll ups in particular are not very high in sugar they only have 3 grams of sugar per roll and each roll is 52 calories. They remind me so much of this other roll up candy that I had as a kid and I think they were just called "fruit roll ups" and I really loved those, even though the taste of these roll ups are not thoroughly the same as they are not so sweet in taste, they still remind me so much of that other fruit roll up I had as a kid. If you like eating gummy candies or any kind fruit candy I recommend to you try this.

Now for the savories!
Popcorn is a fun treat and this is a popcorn snack that I highly recommend by Sunbites and it is the air popped popcorn  which is 25% fat free, it is NOT cooked in oil which makes it a fantastic low fat snack. I don't know how many flavors they come in, the one flavor I always grab is the sour cream and chives flavor. And it is delicious!


The next snack I think is  great are soya chips. They are a really nice low calorie snack. I don't have a picture of them as I didn't get any today but here is a website that talks about them and there is a picture of them in this website:
http://www.priorityhealth.com.au/DA1200/Soya-King-Soya-Crisps-10kg/pd.php


You can get them in woolworths and coles just look through the savory snack aisles and you should be able to find them, they are usually around where nuts and peanuts are. There are different brands that make them, I know Woolworths makes their own version.

And here are some general options
Nuts are a good snack although you should still eat them sparingly because they do have fat in them but of course fats that are good for you, and Apple chips a are also good too!

Fruits are a good option for snack they are great to have on an empty stomach. You can also have carrot sticks, cucumber sticks celery sticks and eat them with a good tasting dip that of course should be guilt free you can also make your own dips.

Another snack I really love is edamame which is a Japanese snack and they are soy beans that are still in the pods, steamed or boiled I think and you open them and eat the soy beans only, you don't eat the skin. You can buy them frozen, you should be able to find them from your local Asian grocery store in the frozen food section. You can also find them in woolworths in the frozen food section.
Here is picture of them from wikipedia:

Seaweed is also a great snack if you are that type of person who loves sushi. I sometimes like to have seaweed I know a lot of Asian grocery stores sell them in different flavors, you can get ones that are spicy extra crunchy etc. plus seaweed is very good for you too as from what I found out it has iron and calcium, its good to have if you're a vegetarian because of the iron.

And now for Beverages
There is this powder drink I love by Vitarium called sugar free kids they use stevia and all you do is add four tea spoons of it in a glass and add milk. they come in chocolate, banana and strawberry and they are very delicious. You can make a hot chocolate with the chocolate flavored one too. I highly recommend this oh yes and the strawberry flavored one reminds me of  another powdered drink called Nesquick.



I am personally more of a tea person, one tea I really love is rooibus tea with almond milk sweetened with a tea spoon of stevia which is only about 2 calories and I just love it. As for coffee opt for something low fat like use skim or low fat milk and avoid too much sugar. I'm not much of a coffee person but this is what I recommend if you are a coffee addict. I also love fruit flavored teas like pomegranate, berry and peach.
Green tea is good too but I usually have that for breakfast.

So there you have it, these are all the snack ideas I recommend. There might be more ideas I have but this is what I know of by far that I think are great snacks.

One more thing I would like to mention! it has nothing to do with snacks though. In my previous entry on the ripped in 30 review, I mentioned that I was going to be starting this 2 month challenge exercise program called Insanity well I was thinking I would a weekly review on it like I will talk about how week 1 went and so on. So if you are really curious about this workout program be on the look out those entries.

Have a great day or night whatever time it is!

love

Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment