Sunday 28 April 2013

Excuses, excuses and more excuses.

In this new post I am going to be addressing some issues that have just hit my mind a lot. To make things clear I'm going to be talking about why I disagree with constant excuses I've heard time and time again. I will also talk about how you can avoid these excuses. I will then give the main reason why I think people are overweight/obese.

1. The main reason people get obese/overweight is because of their genes.
This may be partially true, but in my opinion it isn't the main reason. Why? because genes only play a minor role, but that doesn't mean you cannot lose weight. You may not be blessed with a fast metabolism where you can eat as much as you want without gaining the access pounds or kilos, but there are things you can do to get your metabolism to work faster. Here is a few things I did that I think helped speed mine up:

I drank green tea
This tea has certain stuff in that helps speed your metabolism. Just google it and you will find many sources talking about how it gives that benefit. I found that drinking it really helped along with eating a balanced diet and exercise.

I never skipped any meals especially breakfast!
when you skip meals and let yourself starve you are putting your body into starvation mode and so your metabolism shuts down, because when you eat again it will just store energy very slowing because it was put to sleep. Believe me I used to skip meals in the past and I think that upset my metabolism.

I exercised
This also helps get the metabolism going as your energy won't get stored as fat. But it also has other benefits as well check out this article http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676

Another important thing to mention, The problem for some people might not be just genetics, but some things people do to their bodies can upset their metabolism. For example there are diets out there that can really hamper the metabolism such as yo yo dieting. This is when you go on a strict diet then lose the weight you lose, then you stop then you gain it back then you do it again and so on.

Here is a quote from a website that explains how it upsets the metabolism.

It's not only your waistline that suffers from yo-yoing. "Repeated crash dieting increases metabolic hormones, such as insulin, and elevates levels of sex hormones, including estrogen," says Andrea Pennington, MD, author of The Pennington Plan for Weight Success. "These changes cause you to start putting on weight around your middle, which research has linked to insulin resistance, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease."
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/tips/diet-tips/end-the-yo-yo-diet-cycle/

It can slow your metabolism but not permanently. Here's another article that talks about yo yo dieting and how it can effect your metabolism. It also brings up really important info about why its not a good option.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/weight-loss-myth-yo-yo-dieting-will-wreck-your-metabolism.html#b

Just because because you were not blessed with a fast metabolism doesn't mean you have to stay that big forever.

I strongly advise this. Never allow your genes as your excuse. Your genes are not the main reason you are overweight or obese. Also if someone tells you things like "This is going to be hard because of your genes" or "You were born like this" Please don't listen to that! I'm sorry but if someone is telling you this stuff then they are not giving you advice! So don't take it at heart or take it seriously. Never take at all. REMEMBER IT CAN BE DONE. YOU CAN'T LET ANYTHING DISCOURAGE YOU! YOUR GENES ARE NOT AN EXCUSE PERIOD!

Believe me I don't have a naturally fast metabolism but I've lost so much weight and I know I will reach my goal I have come this far. And I am not the only one, there are people who have gone further then I have. Like take this YouTuber called Nancy Valentino for example she came from a family of overweight people and she became overweight herself until one day she changed her ways and lost ALL her weight and now she is a model! Please watch this video about her story. It will open your mind.


This video proved to me that genes really play a tiny, tiny role and that I CAN do this, I CAN lose this weight no matter what my genes are made of ANYONE can lose weight. In other words this video gave me more hope.

also my aunt who is on my mother's side of the family managed to keep her weight down and that is the side of my family where my slow metabolism got inherited from.

 2.Modern day technology is the main reason people are overweight.
I personally don't agree with this. Because you can actually lose weight without exercising. You just have to eat the right amount of calories. Plus when you sit down at the computer your're not consuming any calories nor are you burning any. But if you are eating and at the computer the whole day eating heaps of high calorie junk everyday, then yes of course you will gain weight. No I'm not saying that it doesn't play a role at all with gaining weight, I just don't think it plays that big of a role.


3.People think losing weight is impossible, they also think they are meant to be that way.
I'm sorry but that is just nonsense! I mean come on there is only so much you can do!

Go to the gym
Count your calories
Eat healthier foods(that taste good!)
Drink 8 glasses of water a day
meditate
walk your dog
play with your kids
cycling

The list goes on! Don't get me wrong I'm not saying its easy but all these things I listed proves that its possible.

4.People think that going to the gym is the only way to exercise.
Again MORE RUBBISH! You don't have to go to the gym to work out, There are cheaper options. You can even buy your own exercise equipment. You don't have to buy a big elliptical, or a treadmill. You can get cheap equipment too. but not all exercise requires equipment like for example walking and running doesn't require equipment. You can also use work out DVD's or if you are one of those game junkies who owns a wii or an xbox360 kinect you can buy fitness games. I personally don't go to the gym as I mainly stick to walking my dog and I also used fitness DVD's and I also use the xbox360 kinect. I also used the wii. You can even go on YouTube and you'll find workout videos there.

5.People feel that food is everywhere, therefore they are forced to eat it.
Well yes food can be very tempting. I used to be a victim of this excuse. For example I used to go off my plans because of Easter and Christmas. This may be another thing that is partially true but there are ways it can be avoided. You just have to remember that no one or anything is shoving stuff down your throat. It is not that you are getting forced, your're just getting tempted and there are ways to keep you from getting that way like for example don't go grocery shopping when you are hungry and keep drinking your liquids as that can help stop that problem. What worked for me the most was not going shopping while I was hungry. There are also these hypnotizing audio CDs you can buy that can wean you off getting tempted in the past I used Paul Mckenna's "I will make you thin" audio and that worked for me at 16 when I did my detox diet which I don't recommend. But if your're the type of person that gets tempted easily this might work for you.

6.Festive holidays where food is the big thing.
There are ways you can avoid gaining the access pounds, Like having smaller portions. You can still enjoy a Christmas pudding at your family's Christmas gathering or a chocolate egg in Easter, You just have to have small quantities. For example it's someones birthday, ask the person cutting cake if you can have a smaller piece. If its Christmas Dinner, avoid pilling your plate up and just take limited amounts of food. At Easter don't splurge on your chocolate, just save it, you can have a small piece and you can savor it for more days, you can also share your chocolate with your friends or family.


7.No time to exercise or cook healthy meals.

People complain that they have no time. well if you haven't got time it doesn't mean you can't lose the weight as you don't have to exercise. You can still consume smaller portions, just make sure you eat the right amount of calories, As for having no time to cook healthy meals and fast food is the only option, then pick healthier options choose a small meal don't ask for a large burger with a large soda and if you don't mind eating salads try asking for a salad instead of fries when you go to Mc.Donalds or Hungry Jacks, ask for a six inch sub instead of having a footlong sub at Subway or you can have salad. Try to find ways you can cook quick meals for example you can make healthy stir fries with vegetables with chicken or tofu they are very quick. You can use wholewheat Lebanese bread to make pizza(This is a recipe I will be sharing with you sometimes I will have this if I am too tired to cook or if I have no time) Please check out this video of this girl who managed to lose weight without exercise or even dieting.


8. Its too expensive.
Oh dear (rolls eyes) Ok look as I mentioned earlier pick healthier options at fast food chains. But of course there are cheap options. For example, frozen vegetables are cheaper than fresh ones, they are low in calories and they last longer then fresh ones. Try and find stuff on special. Check the nutrition facts on the packaging on cheaper items and you might get lucky. But then again keep sticking to smaller portions if you are having trouble.


And this is a very famous one....

9. ITS TOO HAAAAAAAARD!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T DO IT!!!! ;(
YES YOU CAN DO IT! I understand that it may not be easy but this is still an excuse. Not only is it an excuse, it is also negative fuel meaning you are using this excuse to sabotage your plans. Also if you say something is too hard than you are making it more harder than what is. weight loss includes positive mentality. If you drown yourself with negative thinking then, you will not succeed. Repeating the negative mantra "Its too hard, its too, hard, I can't do it I can't do it" will tear you down. If this is what you have been doing all this time then please go the opposite way by believing in yourself and instead of telling yourself "its too hard." repeat to yourself this mantra "This may be hard I can do this, I am strong, I can pull through, I am worthy, I'm a fighter" anything positive. Do this everyday and you will be on the road to success with your journey. A positive mind will help make things easier for you. Trust me it made things easier for me.

OKAY WELL, WHAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM?
EXCUSES! and possibly LACK OF KNOWLEDGE.

SO WHY ARE EXCUSES MAKING ME FAT!
Because, making excuses is like feeding your mind too much junk food. The more you make excuses the more you discourage yourself. You will also end up going to your old ways. I have seen this happen in real life and it has happened to me too. In my past I always failed because I made excuses, I blamed the holidays(mainly the Easter holidays) and other things. But when I became successful I ditched all of those excuses.

LACK OF KNOWLEDGE?
Yup! of course because you don't realize that its those excuses plus you probably don't know how to lose the weight properly hence crash dieting. You are not aware of how much or how little food your having, You probably think that loosing weight means you have to eat salad all the time or you have to eat dust and you don't realize that you can still enjoy food even if you are trying to lose weight. That is NOT true you just have to drop some old habits such as splurging, drinking, yo yo dieting etc. You just have to keep things balanced. Because Honey diets don't work, to lose weight you need to make new lifestyle changes that will help keep your weight off permanently.

Basically its ALL in the MIND if you stop your excuses and do your homework on how to eat right you WILL succeed. The main element to a successful weight loss is a strong, positive mind.

Well this brings me to the end of this post. I really hope that you have found this to be helpful, as a lot of these tips  that I have shared really helped me personally.

Stay healthy, stay positive and stay strong.

Love

Alice

1 comment:

  1. Ok there were some technical difficulties with the videos I wanted to share but they are fixed now!

    ReplyDelete